Tuesday, 24 February 2009

Concert: Adès, Crumb, Schönberg, Stravinsky

Yesterday I attended an evening concert at the Concertgebouw in Amsterdam. The program, performed by Ensemble Ulysses, was as follows:
It was a nice evening. The small room of the Concertgebouw was pleasantly busy and the ensemble interpreted the works in a passionate and expressive way. The succession of works also worked pretty well, starting with the uplifting Histoire du soldat all the way to the deeply moving Vox balaenae by Crumb. I think the concert was supposed to focus on Adès, but Adès's two small works certainly didn't leave as much of an impression in the audience as Crumb's Vox balaenae did. I'll return to Crumb in my next post, but for now I'll leave you with a video of his Vox balanae, for 3 masked players on amplified instruments:


No comments:

Post a Comment